Sunday, November 15, 2009

We all have something to learn

I have poison ivy.

My friend and I had done some hiking in the mountains, a bike ride/run and a few other excursions. On our hike we found this great spot for pine cones we were excited, what better way to be economical than to find free pine cones to decorate with for Christmas. There were also these beautiful white berries that looked just like the kind you can find at Hobby Lobby or Micheal's now we were on to something. One day last week she started getting red itchy bumps on her face that we thought were hives from something she ate. Then they started getting really miserable. I felt so bad for her you could still see her beautiful face under all the raised bumps and swelling, but it looked so miserable. She did look a little like two face, well not quite that bad. It wasn't until a day later when my face started breaking out with something similar did we realize that there must have been something we got into that gave us an allergic reaction. Allergic indeed. As we got back to Iowa she went to the doctor ASAP. We don't have insurance right now so I figured I would just wait for her diagnosis. You got it, it was poison ivy, she got a shot and a couple of prescriptions to help clear it up. So I figured I would google poison ivy remedies and see what I could do to help my face and neck feel better. As I was doing my research I came across some information that said mature poison ivy white berries. Uh, oh I though I quickly google searched images of poison ivy berries and it left not a doubt in my mind. I couldn't help it I just wanted to laugh hysterically. We PICKED poison ivy, put it in my jacket and took it home with us in a bag with our lovely pine cones. WHO actually picks poison ivy? Another piece of info that solidified this was that poison ivy is often found east of the rocky mountains along streams. Wow, that is exactly where we were, on the east side of the Rocky mountains by a beautiful little stream. How dumb can you get you may ask? And I must ask, did YOU know poison ivy has berries? I certainly didn't. I think I will buy my pine cones this year.

3 comments:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I'm glad it was you that found that out not me :) HOpe your poison ivy starts getting better soon!

Liss said...

ok well I figure since you wanted to laugh about it that it's safe to say that I have been laughing all weekend!

peter marie said...

It's such a sweet story that you were picking pine cones to decorate. I can just picture you guys being so excited about it....and such a bummer it ended up that way! Glad it's all starting to clear up.

With all the crazy ups and downs these last couple of weeks, we sure are thankful for how things turned out and are glad you and Andy are so content with the outcome!

baby
baby