Tuesday, July 5, 2011

the perils of being the little brother

Growing up as an oldest child you don't realize all the perils the younger siblings face. *No comments please about torpedo swinging children in blankets.
Monday we were headed home after visiting with some family, Dane had been snacking on some chex cereal. All of a sudden we here the dreaded choking sound then desperate gasping for air, then the semi-relieved, severely irritated, and scared screams of Cade. All I know is my seat belt clasp almost broke the window as I tried to get back there to make sure all was ok. Poor Dane I knew he felt bad, I mean how can you resist that cute little smile and reaching hand. Cade practically begs for hand outs, but we have barely started solids and that boy still gags on bread crumbs. Dane was just sharing like he had been taught, but disobeying because I am pretty sure I had told him not to give Cade any food.
Yesterday I found myself, against my better judgement, instructing Dane on how to properly lift his little brother. That was after upon hearing Cade hollering in desperation because he was in his older brother's choke hold. I turned around to see Dane leaning back as far as he could holding Cade around the throat Cade's feet barely touching the ground as Dane tried to relocate his little brother. (*Disclaimer- It was partly my fault, I had needed to grab something quick before heading out the door and I asked Dane to let me know if Cade started crawling towards the door. So I think he was just looking out for his little brother)
What doesn't kill them only makes them stronger....right? I'll try not to think about that too much, it will only make me worry.

No comments:

baby
baby