My mid summers night dream is to sleep all night for a few nights in a row. Oh the sleep issues we have been having here. I think we are going on about 8 months of interrupted night sleep. I know, I know that is the case with kids and babies especially. Cade from about 2 months to 6 months was terrible, I am 99% sure it was because of ear problems. The first 2 months were a breeze, he was up once a night to eat. I remember thinking, well he is fussy during the day, but at least he sleeps good at night. Then he got several ear infections that wouldn't clear up. I mean, I barely remember that phase because I was so sleep deprived, and really it was only 1 phase ago. Andy and I could barely function it felt almost dream like, I remember nights Andy and I wanted to kill each other or we would fight over whose turn it was. As soon as we got the tubes and recovered from the RSV things started improving sleep wise, though I have had to break Cade of the night feedings at least 3 times now. He doesn't really need them but at times in my sleep deprived state I forget and just feed him and then by the time I crawl back in bed and look at the clock I wonder what in the world I was thinking feeding him at that time of night.
Oh and then there is the bedtime battle with both of them. Lately it has been a 2 hour routine of continuous putting Dane back into bed, and Cade just screams and hollers and throws a fit as we let him cry to sleep, sometimes up to a half hour. Don't criticize, if we go in and hold him things actually get worse, it seems to be the best just to let him be, and he is getting MUCH better, I am sure that was due to the recent development of crawling and pulling himself up and he just wants to practice, practice, practice. Dane just gets up over and over and over until some nights 11 pm. One night I put him back in bed to turn around a minute later to see him behind me and he bashfully says "mom I am having a hard time going to sleep" I am thinking, "Really?! Why don't you try laying there more than 30 seconds and see what happens." This too is improving FINALLY. This stuff all started after the potty training. W have been disciplining him, but it seems the all out ignoring, making him get back into bed on his own, no extra hugs, kisses, or snuggles seem to be working.
And now Dane, my usual terrific sleeper, gets up somewhere around 3-5 times a night AP (After Pottytraining) He stumbles into our room, we/Andy takes him back. This too has gone on for several months and seems to have worsened. I don't know about phasing the early afternoon nap out, that is my moment of peace.
If it's not one it's the other. Though I feel like a new person since Cade has gotten his tubes in his ears 3 months ago, I am starting to get sleep deprived again with Dane's nightly antics. Most of these problems are resolving, we just need to work on the 2.5 year old sleeping through the night again. He has also been having scary dreams about bugs or Magnum biting him, which hasn't happened, and he doesn't seem to be scared of bugs during the day, but Andy has had to go into his room and 'take care of the flies' before we can put him back to bed.
Here's to more rest so summer can be remembered clearly and not in a dream like state.
Oh and then there is the bedtime battle with both of them. Lately it has been a 2 hour routine of continuous putting Dane back into bed, and Cade just screams and hollers and throws a fit as we let him cry to sleep, sometimes up to a half hour. Don't criticize, if we go in and hold him things actually get worse, it seems to be the best just to let him be, and he is getting MUCH better, I am sure that was due to the recent development of crawling and pulling himself up and he just wants to practice, practice, practice. Dane just gets up over and over and over until some nights 11 pm. One night I put him back in bed to turn around a minute later to see him behind me and he bashfully says "mom I am having a hard time going to sleep" I am thinking, "Really?! Why don't you try laying there more than 30 seconds and see what happens." This too is improving FINALLY. This stuff all started after the potty training. W have been disciplining him, but it seems the all out ignoring, making him get back into bed on his own, no extra hugs, kisses, or snuggles seem to be working.
And now Dane, my usual terrific sleeper, gets up somewhere around 3-5 times a night AP (After Pottytraining) He stumbles into our room, we/Andy takes him back. This too has gone on for several months and seems to have worsened. I don't know about phasing the early afternoon nap out, that is my moment of peace.
If it's not one it's the other. Though I feel like a new person since Cade has gotten his tubes in his ears 3 months ago, I am starting to get sleep deprived again with Dane's nightly antics. Most of these problems are resolving, we just need to work on the 2.5 year old sleeping through the night again. He has also been having scary dreams about bugs or Magnum biting him, which hasn't happened, and he doesn't seem to be scared of bugs during the day, but Andy has had to go into his room and 'take care of the flies' before we can put him back to bed.
Here's to more rest so summer can be remembered clearly and not in a dream like state.


2 comments:
I am so sorry--and, unfortunately, can relate again! Cade reminds me of Cloe. Silly girl had to fuss her energy out at night. Sometimes I just wanted to wear ear plugs and pretend I wasn't hearing a thing!
Hope you can get through this phase quickly!
Yuck. I'm so sorry it's been such an exhausting year for you guys!! I hope it all clears up quickly. That's tough stuff.
At least they're super cute, right? :)
Post a Comment