Tuesday, May 12, 2009

World Record Holder

That's right folks I am the proud new owner of the world's largest red onion... err... I mean a smaller than average head of cabbage.

Today Dane and I went to Walmart. Never a good idea without an organized list. I had a short list but not organized by section which I normally do. So I walked to the lotion section and then 13 miles over to the paper towel and kleenex section, then back another 13 miles to the lotion section where I forgot to look for an organization shelf, only to not be able to find what I am looking for. So we trekked back to the milk, egg and paper towel section to finish getting our paper goods. Did I mention I earned a whopping $0.25 recycling some pop cans? Yeah it was a small bag but apparently they didn't sell fresca and a few of the other diet variations I had brought in and you can only recycle what they sell in the store. I am a recycling novice. Not even our pop cans they had been left at our house. I told them to throw the rest away.
There were a few more trips from the back of the grocery section to the front of the grocery section and back again.
I picked out a few things of produce and headed to the check out. Have you ever noticed Walmart employees must not eat their veggies? They usually are confused when you pick something like asparagus or starfruit. Speaking of asparagus, I just noticed that was on my receipt. I didn't get asparagus, haven't since I realized it makes your pee smell funny.

Back to the original story... as she was ringing up my produce and I am frantically trying to load my cart back up and keep Dane from chewing on the plastic sacks, I asked if that was a 'red onion' she rang up. I didn't get a red onion, I protested. After her very baffled look I then informed her it was red cabbage. I also helped her locate it on the produce cheat sheet so she could ring it up. I did save my self a dollar. Maybe even more if I would have caught the asparagus mistake. She was probably getting ready to call the World Book of Genius Records and report the worlds largest red onion. Good thing I saved her the embarrassment.


To her credit it was a rather small head of cabbage. I took a comparison picture for you to see.

Extra credit if you can name all the produce shown.


3 comments:

Amy said...

Oooh, I can do it! Avacodo, red cabbage and yellow onion -- do I pass? :) I have a whole list of Walmart pet peeves, we were actually just discussing them at Bible study tonight...perhaps i will blog about that tomorrow :)

peter marie said...

This is a really funny story. I wonder what she thought the asparagus was?? Maybe next time I'm there I'll buy some weird veggies just to see what they do.

The Sneaky Mommy said...

This story totally made me giggle out loud! Sometimes the checkers just crack me up with their "knowledge" or lack of... Hope you enjoyed that big purple "onion"!

baby
baby