As most normal parents we have tried to keep Dane from falling down the stairs and grabbing knives out of the dishwasher. Success on the stairs thus far. Fortunately this old house has doors on all our stairway- makes it easy as long as we remember to shut the door. Well when he started getting into things way back when, I cant even remember when he didn't get into things. I would have him help me shut the door if he got close to the stairs. He loves to be a helper. I also had him help me shut the dishwasher instead of climbing in it or grabbing knives. He loves to help, so he does so with a great sense of pride and accomplishment. And it has been good instead of him running and jumping off the stairs to the basement he sees that the door is open and runs over and shuts it. What a great obedient little boy. I mean he is so obedient that he has taken personal responsibility to make sure all things are shut. If I open the dishwasher to add a few plates and bowls, he spots it from across the house sprints for the kitchen and shuts the dishwasher. Even if that means I have to open it each time I put one item in there, fighting the shutting monster. He can even shut it when the bottom drawer is open. He just uses his man strength and grunts and pushes until it crashes shut. What a helper!
He has even taken the initiative that if he sees anything open that should be shut he makes sure the job gets done. If it is a drawer left open and he cant reach it, he fusses until it gets shut. And if he can reach it well you better watch your fingers because he shuts it with gusto. So far those baby fingers have been saved. If you get your face to close to a door that needs shut, watch your nose, because the door is getting shut and it's getting shut pronto. He knows he is doing such a helpful thing for us around the house. I don't know but it seems he as become a little obsessive about shutting things, already showing some great first born traits. That's my boy!


5 comments:
That's funny! Yeah, something about those first born babies...they can be so particular about everything!
That is so hilarious and so cute! And what a great idea to have him "help" you shut the doors instead of him getting upset about it. Genius! :)
"the shutting monster" - that is SO TRUE. Funny, funny.
What a cute, helpful boy!
By the way, I am SO thankful for your sister! I love having her in our Tues. Bible Study! Thanks for being such a kind big sister to her!
That's hilarious! Lily likes to "help" shut the dishwasher door too. :)
Post a Comment