Thursday, March 5, 2009

Runza Casserole

We have really been enjoying this simple recipe this winter. I think I may add it to my list of comfort foods. One of the last times we went to Colorado, we stopped at a Runza fast food restaurant in Nebraska. A nice change from the usual quick burger joint or Subway. We found it to be quite tasty! So here it is in casserole form...

Runza Casserole
2 lbs. hamburger
2 onions, chopped
4 c. shredded cabbage
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tubes refrigerated crescent rolls
1 lb. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Use 9"x13" pan. Begin to brown hamburger and onion for a few minutes in a large pan and add cabbage to steam. Spread 1 tube of crescent rolls over bottom of pan. Spread meat on top and add cheese. Place second tube on top and pinch together again. Bake 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Cover last 10 minutes to soften crust. Perfect for Runza lovers and so much easier than making individual ones.

2 comments:

peter marie said...

That sounds good! It's funny too because I have a friend who made that a lot....and she's from Nebraska.

Melissa said...

Grandma always called 'em "cabbage pockets" and they were a pain in the tail-quarters to make! Sheesh! I remember it being a whole day project, and the ENTIRE kitchen being covered with flour, and onions, and little blobs of dough.
Always tasted good, but NOT worth the effort!
I'll definitely have to try this casserole! Thanks for the recipe!

baby
baby