Tuesday, April 22, 2008

1st trimester done!

This was the first big milestone to reach, the end of the first trimester, I was 13 weeks yesterday. At least I think I am done I get confused with the pregnancy math. The best thing, I think about the 1st trimester is you are 1/3rd of the way through before you even know you are pregnant. I hope the next 2 go just as fast. I had a request to share a bit about my 1st trimester, so I will try to recap. I would have to say overall , aside from the worry, things were pretty good. I have had quite a few of the little symptoms like the slight bloody nose etc. The worst part was the entire month of March I was sick with one cold after another and I think combined with pregnancy it was hard to tell what was causing what, but I was miserable and missed a few days of work. I have had some nausea mostly in the evenings, but never close to vomiting, to which I am so grateful. Don't get me wrong, even after wanting to be pregnant for 2 1/2 years, I did have a few moments of, is it really worth it to feel this miserable? Of course in the end it will all be worth it!!!

Smells: I don't think I have super smelling powers, it's more like things just smell gross when I do smell them. There is only one that has really disgusted me, it's the smell or thought of eating smoked meat from a BBQ place. Right before I knew I was pregnant there was a place downtown that smelled so good and Andy and I kept talking about eating there, then one day shortly after the nausea set in he brought me home dinner with the choice of a smoked pork, or a smoked beef sandwich and it was something I had been wanting, and I knew I should eat so I forced down some of it and it pretty much ruined the whole thing for me. Yuck.
I did have a few weeks where I couldn't stand anything scented like lotions and stuff, but that has all passed, except for the smoked meat smell I don't know if that will ever go away.

Nausea: I have figured it out for me, the nausea happens when I don't eat much protein and let myself get too hungry, and most of all in the evenings when I start getting tired. And if I eat junk food it really makes me feel terrible and bloated, I have never been so bloated before it is so miserable, I have always hated the feeling of overeating so I really hate being bloated. I found it's best to stick with healthy things even if a candy bar sounds better. I think I am getting to the otherside of that too!!! I still have some evenings where I feel crummy, but not too many.

Tiredness: I have been very tired for awhile, but having a cold made it hard to tell, what was prego tired and what was tired from being sick. Andy has done the laundry for the last month which has been so nice! It's not perfect, and not folded, but it's clean. He has also been doing a lot of the cooking, I am so grateful that he enjoys cooking! I think most of my energy is returning but I think there is some laziness remaining, but after the baby when will I have the chance to sit at relax and read a book? I am going to enjoy it.

Cravings: Not that I can think of, but the power of suggestion is much more influential. Like when I was home sick and watching a ton of TV I saw the Oreo Cakester commercial a dozen times and started thinking wow that really sounds good. I told Andy how the commercials were starting to influence me, and next time he went to the store he brought home a box of Oreo Cakesters. This week I was on a grape juice kick, I think it started from communion a few weeks ago when you get that little shot of juice and it left me wanting for an entire glass of grape juice. I know, maybe that was unholy, and I tried not to let it distract me from what was going on at the time, but it was such a teaser. This week I enjoyed many glasses of grape juice. The power of suggestion.

Am I showing yet? I don't think it will be long, to me I most definitely am. It's kind of funny, in the mornings I look almost normal and by evening you can almost tell with a loose t-shirt on and my skin usually feels like it's tight and stretching, then come morning again, I look almost normal. Gravity must be playing tricks on me. Most of my pants are getting tight, they are all fine in the morning but by mid day they are uncomfortable. Soon I will have to start in with the elastic waist pants. can't wait.

5 comments:

peter marie said...

Yeah!! Glad that 1st trimester is over. MUCH less to worry about now.:) I'm also glad that you had a smooth pregnancy in regards to not being too sick. You deserve it!!

Alisa said...

So fun! Thanks for the update!

elisa beeson said...

you should try bella bands - they're these stretchy things you can wear with your pre preggo pants that let you unbutton and unzip a bit too so you can wear your old pants longer - they were great post pregnancy too for a few weeks while your belly is still all jiggly :) i can't wait till you can start feeling the baby move! it really is like gas or your tummy rumbling - i sometimes still feel like i feel eisley moving around in there :) here's the link for the bella bands - you can probably shop around online and get them cheaper i bet
http://www.ingridandisabel.com

Kelly said...

yay! thanks for the update!!

Anonymous said...

I am the same way with my stomach looking flat in the morning and huge at night! I guess all the food in my tummy contributes to that. ;)

Oh yes, the power of suggestion. I was watching Everyday Food on PBS this morning and I was drooling. Once I get something in my head that I want, nothing tastes good until I get it!

I am SO glad that things are going well with your baby! And I love the ultrasound pictures! One positive of having complications is you get more ultrasounds!

It's fun that we're going through this at the same time! I'm lovin' the updates.

baby
baby